Yesterday, I came across a very dangerous chemical,
- is the major component of acid rain.
- contributes to the greenhouse effect.
- may cause severe burns.
- contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
- accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
- may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
- has been found in excised tumours of terminal cancer patients.
- symptoms of ingestion include excessive sweating and urination.
Such a chemical should be surely banned. Shouldn’t it?
Somebody should work on it. Right?
That is what Nathan Zohner, a 14-year-old student at Eagle Rock Junior High School in Idaho Falls, Idaho did. For a science fair project, he distributed a report titled, “Dihydrogen Monoxide: The Unrecognized Killer” to 50 of his classmates. The report contained many of the points that have been mentioned (which I have liberally taken from Wikipedia).
Nathan asked his friends to read the report and decide what to do with the chemical. His classmates studied chemistry and many had parents working in the nearby Idaho Nuclear Engineering and Environmental Laboratory. They also could have asked their teachers about the chemical but they didn’t bother to and in the end 43 students voted to ban the chemical as it could cause lot of deaths.
The chemical by the way is,
H2O i.e. WATER!
Nathan concluded that he was appalled that his peers were so easily misled and he did not feel comfortable with the current level of understanding. He won the first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair for presenting the findings of his little experiment. The title of his report was,
How Gullible Are We?
These 14 year olds are not the only gullible people around. This is true for most of the adult population.
We can be made to believe anything by anyone. Our prejudices can be used to induce somebody else’s thoughts as ours. When we are not ready to use our own brains, somebody will do it for us and not always would it be correct.
This gullibility of the common man is utilised by the special men (pun intended) to peddle their untruths to create a mass hysteria.
- This gives rise to unscientific customs and rituals.
- This gives rise to partitions in the society in the name of caste, colour and religion.
- This increases idiocy, anguish and hatred.
This gullibility will certainly make a fool out of us and in our spate of foolishness we can do damages which will be irreparable and irreversible.
पहले जाँच करें फिर विश्वास करें।